Injury Prevention

The Department of Public Health warns Alabamians to beware of damage and power outages from the devastating tornadoes that swept across Alabama. The agency urges you to remember that there are many hazards that follow natural disasters such as: entering a structure that has been damaged, natural gas leaks, and debris. They also say to never touch a downed power line, or an object in contact with a downed line. Also, never use generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, garage or camper. These items emit carbon monoxide, and it can cause sudden illness and death if you breathe it in. Make sure you report all potential hazards to authorities or to the appropriate utility company immediately.

Tags: