Local Warming Centers/School Delays
Local jurisdictions and agencies are set to open warming centers to provide relief to local citizens.Pets are not allowed at warming centers. These short term emergency shelters operate when temperatures or a combination of precipitation, wind chill, wind and temperature become dangerous. People who are encourged to use the warming centers are those who are unsheltered due to a personal state of homelessness and who, for one reason or another, do not utilize existing homeless shelters. Centers also serve stranded motorists.
Also, area schools will be experiencing delays tomorrow due to the possiblity of black ice and extreme cold.
• Salvation Army - 114 North 11th Street, Gadsden (Continuously open through at least Saturday morning.)
• Elliott Community Center - 2829 West Meighan Boulevard, Gadsden (Wednesday 8a – Friday 5p)
• Carver Gymnasium - 1030 Tuscaloosa Avenue, Gadsden (Tuesday – Friday 8a – 5p)
• Gadsden Public Library - 254 College Street, Gadsden Tue, Thu hours: 9AM - 7PM - Wed,
Fri, Sat hours: 9AM - 5PM
• The Town of Altoona will open during normal business hours. Call 205-589-2000 to request
directions to Warming Center.
• George Wallace Senior Center – 407 Hollingsworth Drive, Glencoe (Wednesday – Friday 8a –
• Rainbow City Community Center – 3702 Rainbow Drive, Rainbow City (Wednesday – Friday
8a – 4p)
• Southside Community Center – 2142 Highway 77, Southside (Wednesday – Friday 8:30a –
• Walnut Grove Recreation Center – Community Building on Vandiver Street, Walnut Grove
(Continuously opened, Wednesday 8a – Friday noon)
• Salvation Army, 420 Noble Street, Anniston (Open Tuesday @ 8:00am, and will open day by day 256-236-5643)
Calhoun County Schools – 3 hour delay
• Jacksonville Christian Academy – open @ 10:45am
• Oxford City Schools – 3 hour delay
• Pell City Schools – 3 hour delay
• Talladega County Schools – 2 hour delay
• Anniston City Schools – open @ 10:00am
• Gadsden State Community College (All Campuses) - 11:00am