Thanksgiving Holiday Fire Safety

For most, the kitchen is the heart of the home, especially during the holidays. From testing family recipes to decorating cakes and cookies, everyone enjoys being part of the preparations. So keeping fire safety top of mind in the kitchen during this joyous but hectic time is important, especially when there’s a lot of activity and people at home. City of Oxford Fire Department Chief Gary Sparks says as you start preparing your holiday schedule and organizing that large family feast, remember, by following a few simple safety tips you can enjoy time with your loved ones and keep yourself and your family safer from fire. According to experts, Thanksgiving is a wonderful family holiday, but the day can be ruined with a cooking or candle fire, a burn injury or the improper use of a space heater. Sparks says make sure you have a working smoke detector. Sparks says that you should change your smoke detector every 10 years and you can purchase one at a local store for $5 to $10 a piece. He says if you can’t afford one…Give the Oxford Fire Department a call at 256.831.3208.


News Posts Archive