Be Safe with Holiday Decorations


As people line their homes with colorful lights, battery operated yard ornaments, and decorate their Christmas trees, a local fire department reminds everyone to stay safe and know what lights can go where.

The Oxford Fire Department is giving out tips on how to keep your family safe this holiday season. On average there are more than 16 million dollars worth of property damages each year due to fires caused by Christmas lights. City of Oxford Fire Chief Gary Sparks tells us some do’s and don’ts when it comes to Christmas lights.

Chief Sparks says it’s also important to make sure you do not overload circuits by plugging too many plugs into one outlet. He also says it is crucial to maintain your Christmas trees.

Chief Sparks says the main thing to remember is to make sure to turn off your lights when you are not home or at night when you go to bed. He also says it is important to make sure your fire detectors are working.

Tags:

News Posts Archive