New Superintendent Chosen for Anniston City Schools

The Anniston Board of Education has chosen a new leader. Doctor Matthew Alexander Junior will serve as Anniston’s newest Superintendent. Board members approved his position earlier today by a 4-1 vote. Alexander is currently the Superintendent of Barbour County Schools and has an extensive financial background in addition to understanding academics as it relates to curriculum. All these were main qualities board members wanted in the new superintendent.

During today's board meeting, members expressed how Alexander is not only focused on the needs within the school, but also with transportation. Anniston City Schools are currently leasing its busses with 85% of the funds coming from the state, leaving the board of education to fund the remaining 15%. Board of Education President Robert Houston says he’s looking forward to seeing what new ideas and opportunities Doctor Alexander brings to Anniston.

Interim Superintendent, Marlon Jones will continue to serve as interim until June 1st. Doctor Alexander is expected to be in position before the new school year begins.


News Posts Archive