A historic parish in Jacksonville will celebrate more than 170 years of worship and service over the weekend. Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church was founded June 30th, 1844 by the John D. Hokes family. The historic church is the oldest existing house of worship in the city and the second oldest in the County. In January of this year, the church held a celebration for receiving its authorized historical marker by the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
Over the years, members of Saint Luke’s have served and delivered hundreds of free meals during the holidays in addition to providing students from Jacksonville State a place for fellowship, to eat, and to engage in community activities.
Sunday’s celebratory service will begin at 10:30am, and the public is welcome to attend.